Effective Date: [Insert Date]
I. COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
We may collect the following categories of information when you use our Services:
- Information you provide directly to us. We collect the information you provide in your use of our Services. You may provide information directly to us in several different ways. For example, if you sign up for our mailing list, register for an event, or sign-on to support our advocacy efforts, you may be asked for contact information such as name, address, email, and phone number. In addition, we may ask for other information about you, such as your interests, preferences, feedback, educational or professional information, employment, employment history, and age.
- Information We Collect Automatically. We collect certain information about you and your computer automatically when you use the Services. Automatically collected information may include device information, such as the type of web browser and operating system you have used to access the Services; Internet and electronic network activity information, such as your IP address; information about the time and duration of your use of the Services; and information about the content you view and the features you access on the Services, and other websites you have visited that we collect using cookies and similar technologies.
- Information from Commercially Available Sources. We may receive additional information about you from other publicly-available or commercial sources.
Without this information, we are not able to provide you with all the requested services.
II. USE OF INFORMATION AND PURPOSE OF DATA PROCESSING
We use and otherwise process each of the categories of information identified above for the following business purposes:
||In jurisdictions that require a lawful basis for processing, the lawful basis for processing, including basis of legitimate interest
|To provide you with the Services and information you request and contact you with information, either directly or on a third party’s behalf, about our Services and our mission.
||(a) Necessity to comply with a legal obligation
(b) Necessity for our legitimate interests (for instance, to keep our records updated)
|To better understand your interests in order to provide you (and enable our partners to provide you) with promotional materials, relevant content, surveys and questionnaires, event invitations, and other materials.
||Necessity for our legitimate interests (for instance, to improve our services)
|To continually improve the Services and enhance your experience with the Services; keep our Services, organization, users, and others safe and secure; comply with applicable laws and regulations; and protect or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
||(a) Necessity for our legitimate interests (for instance, to study how people use our Services, to develop the Services, to keep our Services updated and relevant, and to inform our communications strategy)
(b) Necessity to comply with a legal obligation
Where legally required and we have no other valid legal basis to process your information, we will obtain consent (for example, to provide you with marketing information or share information with third parties), which may subsequently be withdrawn at any time by contacting us
. Withdrawing consent does not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before it is withdrawn.
III. DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
We are committed to maintaining your trust, and we want you to understand when and with whom we may share the information we collect.
- Coalition Members. We may share your information with certain coalition members of Invent Together as necessary to fulfill the business purposes described above. For a list of the founding members of the coalition, you can visit this page.
- Service Providers. We may share your information with entities that provide services to us, including companies that provide web analytics, data processing, advertising, email distribution, and other services.
- Business transfers. We may share your information in connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of a website, a merger, consolidation, asset sale, initial public offering, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
- Legal purposes. We may disclose information to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, law enforcement requests, legal claims or government inquiries, and to protect and defend the rights, interests, safety, and security of Invent Together, our affiliates, users, or the public.
- With your consent. We may share information for any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect the information or pursuant to your consent.
IV. ADVERTISING, COOKIES AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
The following types of cookies are used on our Services:
- Essential cookies – These cookies enable you to use our Services. These cookies are essential to enable you to browse our Services and use certain features. Disabling them may prevent you from using certain parts of the Services. These cookies also help keep our Services safe and secure.
- Preference cookies – These cookies store information such as your preferred country and language selection, login data and website preferences. Without these cookies, our Services may not be able to remember certain choices you've previously made (such as a saved country / language preference) or personalize your browsing experience by providing you with relevant information. These cookies can also be used to recognize your device so that you do not have to provide the same information more than once.
- Performance cookies – These cookies collect information about how you use our Services such as which pages you visit regularly. These cookies are used to provide you with a high-quality experience by doing things such as tracking page load, site response times, and error messages.
Do-Not-Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms
. Some mobile and web browsers transmit "do-not-track" signals. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. We currently do not take action in response to these signals.
V. YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
You may be entitled, in accordance with applicable law, to object to or request restriction of processing of your information, and to request access to, rectification, erasure, and portability of your information or more information about our information practices. Requests should be submitted in writing as set out below
. If you become aware of changes or inaccuracies in your information, you should inform us of such changes so that the information may be updated or corrected. Once we receive your request, we may verify it by requesting information sufficient to confirm your identity.
You may be entitled, in accordance with applicable law, to submit a request through an authorized agent or to appeal a refusal to take action on your request. To designate an authorized agent to exercise your rights and choices on your behalf, please provide evidence that you have given such agent power of attorney or that the agent otherwise has valid written authority to submit requests to exercise rights on your behalf. To appeal a refusal to take action on your request, please submit your appeal in writing as set out below
You may be able to refuse or disable cookies by adjusting your web browser settings. Some browsers have options that allow the visitor to control whether the browser will accept cookies, reject cookies, or notify the visitor each time a cookie is sent. Because each web browser is different, please consult the instructions provided by your web browser (typically in the “help” section). If you choose to refuse, disable, or delete these technologies, some of the functionality of the Services may no longer be available to you and any differences in service are related to the data. Deleting cookies may in some cases cancel the opt out selection in your browser.
Some of our third-party partners are members of the Network Advertising Initiative, which offers a single location to opt out of ad targeting from member companies. To learn more, please click here
. For additional information on how Google processes your information and what choices you may have, visit their site here
We will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights and choices, although some of the functionality and features available on the Service may change or no longer be available to you.
You may lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority if you believe our processing of your information is unlawful.
VI. INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS
We do not knowingly collect or sell any personal information from children, as defined by applicable law, without parental consent or as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
VIII. DATA RETENTION, SECURITY, AND INTEGRITY
Information will be retained only for so long as reasonably necessary for the purposes set out above and consistent with our retention policies, in accordance with applicable laws.
We maintain reasonable security measures to safeguard information from loss, theft interference, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. We also maintain reasonable procedures to help ensure that such data is reliable for its intended use and is accurate, complete, and current. You should understand that no data storage system or transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100 percent secure, accurate, complete, or current. Please note that information collected by others may not have the same security protections as information you submit to us, and we are not responsible for protecting the security of such information.
IX. PROGRAM-SPECIFIC SUPPLEMENTS
- The Inventors Patent Academy. In addition to the categories of information outlined above, we may also ask for other information about you, such as your demographic information to promote our diversity efforts (such as gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation). We may disclose this information to trusted partners only in aggregated or de-identified form.
XI. CONTACT INFORMATION